Friday, June 3, 2011

Step by Step

So sorry for the lack of updates, I've been busy with finals and graduating from college and such, you know, minor things.  There's a few updates that I'm probably not going to do justice just since it's been so long and there's been so many other things going on, but now that I'm home for summer just want to keep my thousands and thousands of loyal readers posted.

I had another adjustment in the beginning of May.  I am still not at full volume which is, while disappointing, expected since I hadn't been able to turn up the volume much after my first adjustment so I could tell there was still a lot of fluid.  However, while this adjustment did give me more volume (though still feels like not much, I think it feels like less than it is though because of the frustration of not having full-level hearing than because of the device) it did change the quality of the sound.  The tech (a new person) adjusted something and as soon as she did the sound around me felt different.  Even though it didn't feel louder, though technically it was, it just felt... brighter.  I can't exactly explain it but while before silence had felt and sounded kind of dead, all of a sudden it didn't anymore.  I think the best way to explain it is just that before, any noises or sounds I would hear sounded like they were in a vacuum, and with the adjustment they didn't anymore.  As I've gotten used to it it feels a bit duller, but still brighter than it was and that's a promising experience.

There was still a definite limit to volume though and when she looked in my ear she saw calcifications on my eardrum, probably from the healing process, also she could see that there was still quite a bit of fluid.  These calcifications are weighing down my eardrum dampening the quality of any sound that even makes it through them and this combined with the fluid is limiting the quality and volume of what I can hear.  Fortunately though these are apparently all fixable problems and my doctor happens to be in town this weekend so I will be seeing him tomorrow to find out what he thinks I should do, which it seems will probably be putting a tube in that will both drain the fluid and get rid of the calcifications.

I promise to update in a more timely manner after I see him tomorrow and let you know what's next and what he says.

On another note, I'm trying to get a new hearing aid for my other ear (the right side) since the one I have is getting old and does not quite cover my loss which has worsened a bit in the last year.  So far it's been frustrating, first the earpiece didn't fit and I had to have a new mold taken and sent in to get the hearing aid remade.  Then today we went back and there were issues with feedback and volume again so it has to be adjusted and I'll have to go back again soon.  I know that it's a process and it takes time to get the right fit with a new hearing aid but I kind of wish I didn't have two "processes" going on at once, oh well, what can you do, it is what it is, that's the way the cookie crumbles.  Anyway, I'm out of optimistic cliches for now, so until I have more updates this'll have to do.

2 comments:

  1. Keep posting, I look forward to hearing about your progress as I'm working towards getting the same procedure.

    Did you have any facial paralysis or taste disturbances after either of your surgeries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Anthony! I didn't have either of those issues, apparently a taste nerve was removed in the first surgery and I didn't even notice and it hasn't interfered with my enjoyment of food. If I'm paying attention I can tell that taste is slightly stronger on my right side than my left but I wouldn't be able to tell if I wasn't focusing on it.

    ReplyDelete