I'm not sure what exactly I mean by the title of this post, but it's kinda just how I feel right now.
I had surgery on Friday morning to have scar tissue removed, the whole thing was over very quickly, I think it took about 2 hours total and I was back in my hotel room by 11am or 12 feeling pretty much normal! I haven't met with my doctor yet so I'm not 100% sure of the details but basically I think they took a look in my ear and saw that there was in fact scar tissue on the device and when they tested the device its functioning was really poor because of the tissue. They removed the tissue and tested the device again and that allowed it to work "excellently" (my doctor's words) which is really exciting. They made a small incision behind my ear (along the same line as last time) to replace the battery but other than that they did everything through the eardrum which was much less invasive and I have little to no pain from it, though vicodin helps haha. There is a small chance that scar tissue could develop again but apparently even if it does it will be less and the removal would be equally simple. As I said, I still haven't seen my doctor yet so this may change but it seems that because the Esteem is already set, I can just turn it on myself in a few weeks once I've healed and see if there's feedback and adjust the volume or just turn it off again accordingly and then in a while have another adjustment.
So, the less invasive method did come at a minor cost which is that I am now stuck in California for a week. I know, I know, there's worse places to be stuck but I would really like to go home and I did have plans this week but oh well, what can you do, it is nice to not be in pain and to feel fine almost immediately following surgery. And I get to go shopping since I had only packed for a day long trip. The one thing is that I can't go up any elevation whatsoever because of how my eardrum is which makes most of the wineries in the area off limits but I'll live, I'm just glad it went well and that things are moving forward. I think that's the most exciting thing, for the first time I feel like I'm not just backpedaling on things that should have already been fine a year ago, even though maybe technically I am, I feel like I'm moving forward, and that's the only direction I want to go from here.
Even though I really really really wish I was in New York, sorry California, you're not my type.
Anyway, I'm meeting with my doctor on Thursday and flying home that night so I will be sure to update you after that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment